What if you need to use a webcam on a computer, but it is not there or it is broken? You can probably use a telephone camera, but then you have to loose in convenience, and, maybe, in functionality. This article describes how to use mobile phone as webcam on PC.
The most common reasons to use phone as webcam are:
- urgent video call on Skype, but there is no standard camera on hand, or it is broken;
- additional webcam for Internet broadcasting;
- remote monitoring.
Method 1: Using USB
- Modern mobile phones are equipped with cameras that can massively outperform purpose-made webcams in many ways, which makes them a fantastic option for anyone looking to save some cash, or simply.
- Select Update Driver. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions. Reinstall the device driver. In the search box on the taskbar, enter device manager, then select Device Manager. Right-click (or press and hold) the name of the device, and select Uninstall.
If for some reason you do not have a Wi-Fi network, then you can use a USB cable to connect your phone to a computer.
In order for the phone’s camera to be used as a webcam on a PC, it is necessary to install specialized software on both devices. The most common program for these purposes is DroidCam Wireless Webcam (Play Market, PC version). It is free, but has paid functionality; it is worth noting that DroidCam works with Windows and GNU/Linux operating systems.
How it works: The Android application activates the phone exactly like a webcam, and the program on the computer receives and processes the signal from the phone, perceiving it as a webcam, and not like a phone.
After installing DroidCam on both devices, you need to configure your smartphone. The following instructions is an example (location of some menu items may vary on different Android devices).
- Go to Settings → About phone.
- Press on “MIUI version” row several times until you see a notification that the developer’s menu is now active.
- Return to the main menu and open the additional settings.
- Scroll down and select “Developer options”.
- Make sure that this section is active (the very first toggle switch of the entire list of options indicates this) and enable “USB debugging”. Confirm inclusion if necessary.
Now launch the DroidCam application on your smartphone and connect it to the computer using a USB cable (specify the connection type File Transfer). On your computer, also enable this program and go to the second tab with the USB icon (to the right of the Wi-Fi icon).
The computer will determine the IP address of the mobile device, after which you can click the Start button.
The successful completion of this operation is indicated by the window that appears on the PC screen with the broadcast of the camera signal of the smartphone.
Likewise - I want to use a smart phone to record HD video through a USB webcam. Picture a phone attached to the handlebar of a mountain bike with the webcam remotely located at various places on the bike. Helmet cams are available but all have serious flaws. Android 4.0 is supposed to support USB host, allowing it to run external devices. Make a Wi-fi Webcam From an Old Android Phone: Turning one of my old Android phones into a webcam is something I've been thinking about doing for a long time now. A couple of years ago, I backed a 3D printer project on Kickstarter (RigidBot, if you're interested). If you want to use your smartphone as a webcam, it’s because your laptop or desktop doesn’t have one or the one that it does have is broken. (If it’s the former, that’s strange: Where did you.
Method 2: Use Cell Phone as Webcam through Wi-Fi
It uses exactly the same programs, only as a connection in the application on the PC, click on the Wi-Fi icon.
Webcam Mobile Phones & Portable Devices Driver Download For Windows 10 Hp
The difference is that here you can change the IP address if necessary (in particular, when using several smartphones nearby).
Creative Webcam Mobile
Probably, connecting in this way can transfer the image a bit slower compared to USB, but it will be difficult to see the difference.
A window with the broadcast of such a webcam can be opened in a regular Internet browser. To do this, dial the IP address with the port in the address bar. This information is in the main application window on the phone.
Webcam Mobile Phones & Portable Devices Driver Download For Windows 10 Windows 7
Also, all this connection is local and not available for remote access. In order to watch the camera remotely, you can configure the connection to the computer with this webcam using a remote access program, such as TeamViewer. At the same time, connecting the phone to the PC must be constantly active.